U8's (5-8 Year Olds) & U11's (9-11 Year Olds)
The aim of sub juniors is for children to participate, enjoy the game, & improve individually & as a team.
ENJOY THE GAME: HAVE ‘FUN’ AND ‘PLAY FAIRLY’
It is paramount for children to enjoy participating in Lacrosse and every effort is made to creating a welcoming and supportive environment.
Fair play is an important part of this because it fosters positive relationships and an enjoyable atmosphere at the games. Children need to practice fair play during games and all adults (parents, officials & coaches) are expected to model, encourage and acknowledge ‘fair play’ behaviours.
Examples of fair play are:
- Shaking hands after the game and thanking opponents, umpires and helpers.
- Treating others as you would like to be treated & showing respect to self, the game and other participants.
- Cooperating with your coach, team-mates, opponents and the official.
LEARN THE GAME: IMPROVE INDIVIDUALLY & AS A TEAM
Coaches and officials have a key role in helping players to learn how to play the game and applying the rules. The official/coach must be patient and positive as they ‘explain and show’ the rules when umpiring including:
- Encouraging players to ‘do their best’. Effort and persistence are important when learning new things.
- Understanding that mistakes are a part of the learning process.
- Making sure each player has a fair opportunity to play (especially the new players). This will help them to feel a part of the team and allow them to improve.
In U8's both boys and girls can play together or seperately. It's up tot the individual clubs to formt their team/s.